Gods Among Us
April – 2013
While working on Injustice we had a saying on the environment team – go big or go home!
Injustice brought everything we did in Mortal Kombat to the next level with better visuals, multiple fightlines/transitions, massive environment destruction, and the all new environment interaction game play mechanic.
- Worked with designers and animators to develop environment interactable pipeline.
- Managed and setup background destruction kismet sequences for ALL backgrounds.
- Utilized 3DSMax RayFire and custom scripts for mesh fragmentation/simulation.
- Created a script solution for mesh damage swaps based on material ID.
- Setup level streaming volumes to manage multiple fightlines and transitions.
- Managing the state of Interactables and background destruction between streaming levels.
- Documenting all destruction events and interactable kismet sequences.
- Optimizing performance and maintaining frame rate at 60fps.
The interactable system was a new game play mechanic in which players were able to pickup objects in the background and use them during battle. Besides rigging/weighting every interactable in the game I also created animation reference files, setup assets in the engine, managed asset tags, and documented kismet sequences for every background/fightline.
Check out all the interactables in the game (not my youtube channel).